Pages

Saturday 11 June 2011

Wednesday Night Yu-Gi-Oh! - 08.06.11

This week I ran a variant of Tengu Plants that top 16'd at the Italian Nationals tournament on the weekend. The main difference is the inclusion of the spicy Blackwing Zephyros the Elite tech that the OCG has enjoyed for so long now. This is the list I ran:

Main - [40]
[1] Gorz, the Emissary of Darkness
[1] Chaos Sorcerer
[2] Caius the Shadow Monarch
[3] Reborn Tengu
[2] Debris Dragon
[2] Lonefire Blossom
[1] Dandylion
[1] Glow-up Bulb
[1] Spore
[2] Card Trooper
[2] Effect Veiler
[2] Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter
[1] Sangan
[1] Blackwing - Zephyros the Elite

[1] Dark Hole
[1] Monster Reborn
[1] Giant Trunade
[2] Mystical Space Typhoon
[2] Pot of Avarice
[1] Mind Control
[1] Foolish Burial
[1] Book of Moon

[1] Mirror Force
[1] Torrential Tribute
[1] Solemn Judgment
[2] Solemn Warning
[1] Call of the Haunted
[2] Limit Reverse

Extra [15]

[1] Shooting Star Dragon
[1] Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
[1] Colossal Fighter
[1] Scrap Dragon
[1] Stardust Dragon
[1] Thought Ruler Archfiend
[2] Black Rose Dragon
[1] Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
[1] Iron Chain Dragon
[1] Ally of justice
[1] Magical Android
[1] Armory Arm
[2] Formula Synchron

Side [15]

[1] Mobius the Frost Monarch
[1] Neo-spacian Grand Mole
[1] Puppet Plant
[2] D.D. Crow
[2] Chain Disappearance
[3] Dimensional Prison
[3] Dust Tornado
[2] Bottomless Trap Hole

Round 1 - vs. Dark Debris Tengu - XOX

Close to a mirror match, with him running extra darks like Plaguespreader Zombie and Genex Ally Birdman to fuel a second Chaos Sorcerer and Dark Armed Dragon. In the first game I drew a relatively weak hand of creatures, Pot of Avarice and Monster Reborn. I attempt to make a comeback via Reborn and Lonefire Blossom into a tuner, but Solemn Warning put an end to it straight. Game 2 drew out to be quite a tense game, with swings back and forth before I eventually managed to take the game. The final game left me seeing little more than Effect Veilers and Limit Reverse, whilst my opponent beats down for turns with Card Troopers into raw beats with Tengu and Zephyros.

Round 2 - vs. Samurai - OXO

A relatively short first game allowed me to take the win by having answers to any problem that came up. The second game saw him explode with a powerful rush of special summons, with Hand of the Six Samurai dealing with my attempted defences. In game 3 I felt confident with my initial push, with Brionac allowing me to drop him to 2300 life points, but he managed a powerful comeback via Shi En to answer my dragon, leaving me to defend into enough removal spells to force past Shi En and push for game.

Round 3 - vs. Gravekeepers - XX

He starts off and sets a guy, 3 spell/traps and plays Necrovalley. My hand is mediocre, and though I hold off for a while I end up going on tilt at the end by forgetting to trigger Gorz in my hand, despite making sure to set up to use him as my last resort. The second game draws out, with him always having access to a Solemn when I attempt to force a Black Rose Dragon or Giant Trunade.

Round 4 - vs. Spellcaster Gravekeepers - OO

Having two losses I decided to play on for practice, but was granted a relatively straightforward game 1 in which Magical Dimension and Gravekeeper's Guard were pretty much the extent of what I saw before dropping Trishula, Scrap Dragon and the remaining Reborn Tengu. He starts off the second game in a far stronger position with a Necrovalley, which I suppose I should've expected but didn't. Unfortunately, he realised at that point that he'd left some cards in his deck box that should've been in the deck, which earned him a game loss.

Conclusion - 2-2

Another disappointing result this week, clearly showing my slipping focus and practice. The list ran ok, and several games following the rounds proved it can operate outstandingly, but it seems that I got the most unlucky chain of starting hands possible. Whilst I did enjoy the deck, it felt too slow and awkward for my style, very much how I felt about zombie plants soon after playing them at the qualifier a couple of weeks ago. At this stage I may try out a wildly different deck soon, likely Dragunity, just to gain more widespread experience in the run up to T.G. hyper Librarian's legality in 4 weeks time.

In the mean time, I need to:
Test against a stronger field of meta decks, particularly Gravekeepers!
Practice using stronger side boarding designs and techniques derived from testing results and recent trends.
And last but not least, I need to finally get a hold of a set of Puppet Plants!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment